Join us as World Travelers takes us on a journey to the Netherlands guided by the van Vilsteren family! Students will learn about the country’s geography, history, culture and heritage!
There is no need to sign up for World Travelers as all students will be able to experience the Netherlands in school! Students will view a presentation created by Julius (3rd grade) and Reinier (2nd grade). A visit to the school lobby will include a walk through the tulips, information about famous Dutch artists and personalities as well as an opportunity to contribute to the Hubbard Woods art gallery. Students can also visit the library to learn more about Anne Frank. Finally, they can keep their eyes peeled for fun facts hidden throughout the school to learn more about New York’s connection to the Netherlands, the famous Dutch windmills and more.
Kids will also be able to experience the true flavor of the Netherlands! After a long pause, we are excited to announce that we have partnered with Marla’s Lunch to offer Dutch Pancakes for those who placed orders through the PTO email link that was sent last week. Please keep an eye out for future opportunities to enjoy international flavors with World Travelers.
Also, check out the links below for additional opportunities for your family to learn more about the Netherlands at home:
- View the van Vilsteren family Travelogue at home
- View the Netherland’s Explained video from Countries Explained
- Download coloring sheets and bring them to school to hang in our own art gallery
- View masterpieces by Dutch Masters Rembrandt, Van Gogh, Mondrian and more at the Chicago Art Institute
- Try your hand at Dutch cooking with recipes from The Netherlands including a step-by-step guide to making Butter Cake with the van Vilsteren family
Many thanks to the van Vilsteren family for sharing their home country and taking us on this unique journey. Special thanks to Julius and Reinier van Vilsteren for showing us the Netherlands through the eyes of a child.
Any questions? Contact Karly Matthews or Maria Shideler, World Travelers co-chairs.